Our Early Childhood Program at St. Lawrence provides a warm, Christ-centered environment where 3 and 4 year-olds can grow academically and spiritually in a safe, nurturing environment.
Our program offers:
- Low student/teacher ratios with a teacher and assistant in each class
- Integrated curriculum makes connections across many disciplines. Early literacy, math, science, social studies, art, music, movement, technology, and social-emotional development are integrated throughout the curriculum.
- Play-based learning through thematic units which makes learning fun and engaging.
- Learning Centers that encourage exploration, discovery and imagination are based on purposeful play. Students make choices, socialize and learn by doing.
All Students who enter our program must be fully potty-trained with the ability to care for their own bathroom needs. Children who enter our 3-year-old program must be 3 on or before September 1st and students entering our 4-year-old program must be 4 on or before
Religion: Diocesan approved Catholic Curriculum. We learn stories, songs and prayers to know and love God. As our 3 and 4 years olds participate in hands on activities, they feel at home in their Catholic community.
Enrichment: Art, PE, Music, Media, STREAM, Spanish (EC4)
We are excited to be using Starfall as our curriculum for our EC program.
Starfall Pre-K Curriculum is:
- Standards-based: these developmentally appropriate learning goals are based on state, district and federal programs
- Scaffolded: connects previous knowledge and experiences with new information
- Focused on Early Literacy: integrated throughout the curriculum to lay the foundation for long-term achievement and a love of Reading
- Focused on Math: infused through the day with instruction, centers, and play to give children experiences with everyday math
Balance of Instruction and Exploration: Direct Instruction provides a framework so all children will receive target skills. Learning Centers and Exploration provide the children with time to explore and experiment with what they have learned. Learn more about Starfall.
Early Childhood 4-5
For the 2020-21 school year St. Lawrence Catholic school launched an Early Childhood Four/Five Classroom. Children develop through academic, social, emotional, fine, and gross motor skills at various paces. Oftentimes young learners are ready for the challenge of the ‘next step,’ or would be better supported by another year of classroom experience and growth. The September 1st birthdate requirement does not consider such variations in development. This classroom supports the development of four and five-year-old children by implementing developmentally appropriate practices and educational standards.
The EC 4/5 classroom instruction will integrate aspects of The Project Approach, Reggio-Emilia, Waldorf, and the Montessori Method with consideration of each child’s developmental level.
The Project Approach: https://illinoisearlylearning.org/pa/
Waldorf Method: https://www.waldorfeducation.org/waldorf-education